Monday, June 13, 2011

Off to Lahore

Yesterday, Baba woke up at 10 a.m. But after he left the room, I snoozed for another hour. Today, I was determined to update my diary…I’ve been slacking for the past two weeks. At noon, I made my way to our red roof, and sat there for an hour journaling. A lot of my writing consisted of, surprisingly, negative feelings about some of the family events that have happened so far. At least I don’t have to deal with this family gossip/drama year round.

Ayeshi Baji, eldest of the female cousins from Baba’s side of the family, came to visit me. Baji is a respectful way of saying “older sister.” She brought me lunch, which was nice of her. I ate two chicken pieces with roti. It was a good, light meal.

I then called Punjab University to tell them that I will be coming to Lahore on Tuesday. I wanted to get an appointment with the Vice Chancellor for Wednesday morning. Originally, Rizwan Bhai, eldest of the male cousins from Baba’s side of the family, was supposed to assist us on the trip, as he is well-versed with the in’s and out’s of the famous city. He called in the afternoon to cancel—Baba had speculated this would happen. It’s unfortunate he can no longer come. He would have made for a good guide. Oh well.

In either case, Baba and I will be sitting on an air-conditioned bus at 11 a.m. tomorrow. The expensive Daewoo bus is a South Korean service gaining popularity in Pakistan. We will depart from Abbottabad and arrive directly in Lahore 7 hours later. People say that Abbottabad’s heat is nothing compared to Lahore’s. That Abbottabad is in fact a ‘cool Paradise’ in comparison. But if I can’t handle Abbottabad’s heat, and am complaining about it already, I wonder what will happen when I reach Lahore. One thing is for sure: I’ll have my water bottle with me at all times.

I just finished packing a small suitcase for the trip. I’m fully prepared: plenty of clothes to change into, shampoo, toothpaste, notebook, pencil, surveys. Am I missing anything else? Nikon and video camera are also packed and ready to go. Unfortunately, I won’t have my laptop with me in Lahore, but perhaps I’ll have access to a computer with Internet in the hotel that we stay in. I’m very excited for the adventure that awaits me—I can’t wait to see the famous and infamous LAHORE. So many places to tour, so much to see, so much to do! I want to see why people call it a “mini America.” I hope the city does not disappoint me.

No comments:

Post a Comment